TCM 31 Days - Day O Ram

Monday, March 12, 2007

See ya later Irish Afro


I will never forget when my hair went from mostly straight and wavy to full on curly. It was Class Picture day when I was in the 5th grade. Remember how to keep you quiet in line, the photographer would pass out those cheap combs, so that you had one last chance to groom yourself? Like the rest of my classmates, I waited my turn while continually pulling my new comb through my hair. The finished portrait resembled some kind of genetic experiment crossing Donald Trump with Crystal Gayle- a blown out pompadour with a mind of its own and no end in sight. So began years of horrible haircuts, tantrums, tears- you name it. The barbers didn't seem to know how to cut my curly hair any differently than they did the straight- so I always ended up looking like a shorn lamb. My mother found this to be insanely amusing. To aid her son, she lent her hidden stylistic skills to the cause. Meaning, every 3 to 4 weeks, we would have a knock down, drag out fight that left both of us crying while she butchered my locks. I was 14 and did not understand the whole "don't piss of your waiter before you get your food" principle. There were times when we would start the process in a fight, and I would end up without bangs. Other times, when she forgot that she couldn't multitask, she would be on the phone, and I would look like I slept near plutonium. Things did not get better until we both realized that I needed serious hair support. No more $2 cuts from the barber, I had to begin shelling out the $20+ for a "hair stylist" now.

Cut to 20 years later- I have grown to appreciate my hair over time. In fact, you might say that I like it most of the time. I still wish that I had straight hair- so many possibilities- but ahh well. Which makes it all the more puzzling as to why I am so gung ho for St. Baldrick's Day!

St. Baldrick's Day? With a name like that- it must have something to do with drinking right? I mean- that is what I thought when I first heard the term. As I found out- it is only a drinking event in the sense that- like most things I participate in- I will not be the only one tying one on, but apparently it's not required. St. Baldrick's is a foundation which raises money for children with cancer and aids. Participants solicit donations for having their heads shaved. And I, on a whim, have signed up as a participant. From the 30 seconds I spent reading the flier, to the additional 15 seconds while washing my hair in the shower- my decision to go under the razor was deliberated upon by all of the voices I maintain a home for upstairs. Within 24 hours of announcing my intent, I had raised close to $400.00. With a response like that, and with a cause so worthy- I am afraid I have committed to a path that will have me bald at least once a year. Hell- if all it takes is me getting a closer cut than usual to provide money to a charity- I am cool like that. I am barely using what I have up there anyway- I am hardly beating the boys off with a stick- so I doubt how my head looks the next month or so will spoil any potential!

No comments: