TCM 31 Days - Day O Ram

Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Good, The Bad, and The Fugly


Three books make the Good pile this week. Nothing really great from any of them- and in fact, I wonder if they just seem good because the rest of the field was shiteous. Countdown is off to a commendable start. Nothing Earth shattering, but that is a good thing. I'd rather see this series have legs and not begin with a bang that it can't sustain. Hints casually dropped make it fun- I think for this series I am going to maintain a Rip Hunter chalkboard for everything that they dangle. It will be interesting to see where all of the different threads tie in to the DCU. JLA #9 adds it's share of hints to the overall WTF aspect of the DCU right now. More Legionnaires are found, but their overall mission is still questionable. The villians revealed and the Gorilla City involvement also could be interesting. JLA #9 did have the best line in comics this week: Red Arrow "... that's your best retort? Where'd you steal that, season three of 'Mama's Family?'" The lone Marvel good this week is the third installment of the Fallen Son arc. I didn't buy the first two, but after reading a friends copies I decided to try this one out. More FU Tony, fun with Clint, and with Heinberg keeping the Young Avengers in limbo- it's nice to see Patriot & Hawkeye in action anywhere.

As for the Bad this week- both are on my endangered list now. Mighty Avengers is a total mess- boring story, Altman style over talk without any Altman finesse. The art is so-so, the characters are not engaging to me at all. I was buying this series because I thought it would flesh out anything in New Avengers. Mistake. I will give it one more issue before deciding it's place on my Pull List. Same goes for Uncanny X-Men. Originally I had asked for all X-Titles to be placed on my Pull. After my recent purging, I wanted to see what I was missing in the X-Universe. I would have to say that after reading each title, this is my least favorite of all. That might have to do with me coming in at the tail end of a long arc- we shall see with the next two issues.

Finally the Fugs- All Star Batman and Robin is such shit I really want my money back. I have already posted it on Ebay, but doubt anyone would pay for it if they have seen it. Jim Lee's art is decent, but it's the horrible Frank Miller writing that turns my stomach. To hear Wonder Woman saying "Out of my way Sperm Bank" to some random man on the street? Sure these All Star titles are meant to be different versions of familiar characters, but what the fuck is wrong with Frank Miller? It has been exactly one year since the last issue of this series was on the shelves. And this is the script that took a year?! My 1st graders showed more growth in their writing over the course of a year. I am so over this series. Quoth the raven- Nevermore. Same goes for the other Fug- Marvel's long awaited Ultimates 2 series finale. It's been so long since the last issue came out that I had no clue what the fuck was going on. Good art- awful story. It's too bad, this series actually started out fairly interesting and was my initial foray into the Ultimate universe. What a letdown. And then there was Supergirl. There are currently so many WILDLY different characterizations of Supergirl in the DCU it's like she has multiple personality disorder. In the Legion title, she is kind of dim, very pleasant, and a full on Ass kicker. This title has shown her to be all of those things, but also a whiny, scared, malevolent wimp. This one is off my list now. I think the character has tons of potential, but I can't sit around watching it wasted anymore in this title. I look forward to her addition to the Titans- hopefully Sean McKeever can rescue the poor girl!!

Next week looks much more promising- another Countdown, Wonder Woman 9, Birds of Prey, X-Men (building to something huge for issue 200), and Supergirl and the Legion.

No comments: