TCM 31 Days - Day O Ram

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Does the H in HRC stand for Humorless?

Yet again I have to face the fact that anytime you need a group, committee, or council to accomplish something, you are screwed. The HRC or Human Rights Campaign is- according to their own press: "America’s largest civil rights organization working to achieve gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender equality. By inspiring and engaging all Americans, HRC strives to end discrimination against GLBT citizens and realize a nation that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all." In other words another watchdog group out there among the many. And while I know that they have done many worthwhile things and take up causes that are not always popular- I continually scratch my head at some of their bullshit. For example- they have sent out a press release condemning the following Snickers commercial that aired during the Super Bowl. Admittedly, I did not watch the Super Bowl, and only heard about this commercial on the radio this morning. Let's get real- the commercial is funny! I know the HRC refers to alternate endings in their condemnation, but isn't there ANY other issue that they could devote their energies to out there? I have contributed to the HRC in the past, and probably will again- but come on?! Recently my roommate asked if I would be willing to volunteer my time for this organization and I said yes. Crap like this make me recall why I stopped helping the HRC in the past. A bunch of bitter queens looking for ways to kiss each other's asses and bemoan being called "Queer" in High School. Let's all move on!

No comments: