TCM 31 Days - Day O Ram

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Lovely

Now- to be perfectly up front with y'all- I am not, nor have I ever been a big NBA fan. Hell- other than watching the beautiful swimmers and others during the Olympics- I really don't watch any sports at all. Despite not following any of it, like most other pop culture whores- I know who most of the bigger names in sports are and have those that I enjoy outside the arena. One athlete that I have always been tickled by is Charles Barkley. I love anyone who says whatever is on their mind- even when I don't agree, I respect the fact that it's just one person's opinion. If they happen to be able to shoot off their opinion with a little wit- even better! For a while, it seemed like Charles was just saying shit to provoke people, no real reason to weigh in on things- just stirring it a bit. But hell- they kept putting a microphone in front of him so why not? Charles is in New Orleans right now, along with many of his NBA buddies for the All-Star Game and the weekend festivities. For some reason, Wolf Blitzer had him on "The Situation Room" and the Presidential race came up. Once again, Mr. Barkley did not disappoint, and shared his thoughts on the candidates, the current state of the major parties, the religious right, and more:



How fun!!! For kicks, I hunted down some of his more colorful quotes:

After initially making light of Magic Johnson's HIV status, Charles had this to say when asked if he was concerned while playing against Magic- "We're just playing basketball. It's not like we're going out to have unprotected sex with Magic."

"I had to explain to my daughter why that skank Monica Lewinski has an hour special on HBO this weekend." (No explanation necessary there hehe!)

On endorsements: These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it.

No comments: