TCM 31 Days - Day O Ram

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Pull List 9/06/07

Well- since Monday was a postal holiday (and I didn't get to see the hot mail man!!!) books come out tomorrow- meaning my pre-Top Chef time will be with my nose in "Spaceman Blues" (don't worry- it's about to get it's own post!) instead of these books:


Although just about everything tied to the shiteous "Amazons Attack" mini was equally horrible- the last issue of Supergirl (and the Wonder Woman/Grace Outsiders one shot) was a saving grace. I really liked Tony Bedard's take on Kara- and Renato Guedes's artwork was wonderful- I was looking forward to a decent run with this creative team. This comic has suffered from horrible characterization from the get go- and of course since it's DC- once they seem to pull it together- TPTB change it all around. So I will only have two more issues before auditioning a new crew. And this time- if I am not impressed in the first two issues- adios! The knucklehead in charge of DC right now is a total tool. Reminds me of a line in the great Vanity 6 song "If a Girl Answers Don't Hang Up": "Then I'd take my underwear and shove it in your mouth- and you'd love it cause you got no taste!"

After thoroughly enjoying this "8th Season" of Buffy- I really did try to watch all of the old episodes- Will is a huge fan and I did my damnedest to get through the first 2 1/2 seasons on DVD. Maybe I did too much at once. Maybe I didn't pay attention the way I should- I had to put my backwards Buffy education on hold. I have plans to get back to it someday- but that day is not today hehe! However- the comics have been a trip. The first five by Joss Whedon himself made me really appreciate him as a writer. The banter between characters is up their with the mighty Gail- and if you know me, you know what praise that is for him. This issue is the start of the 2nd story arc and written by the amazing Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Ex-Machina, Pride of Baghdad...)so I am chomping at the bit to read this one!

Black Canary was one of my favorite characters while growing up- mainly due to her appearances in Brave & The Bold- Jim Aparo drew a great Dinah! I then enjoyed the hell out of her in Gail Simone's "Birds of Prey"- Gail lovingly resurrected the character and vaulted her into the big time. It is because of Gail that I am picking up this book.

I enjoyed the Steel's story during 52, and I have given all of the other spinoffs from 52 a chance- so I will let you know how this one pans out.

Again- Gail. She has done a bang up job on this title. I had zero interest in the Atom before- now it's one of the highlights of my month.

Why am I reading this shitty comic? Most days even I don't know. Probably because it's a weekly- and like the downtrodden but hopeful romantic I am- I keep thinking that maybe just one week- who knows- this one? I was stoked that Donna Troy was going to play such a pivotal role- but not when written by people who obviously never read a thing about her- and christ- the art has been so awful!!!!

I stopped reading Outsiders not long into One Year Later- it truly sucked ass most every month. I am only buying this issue out of nostalgia. With Batman assuming leadership, I fondly remember the "Batman & The Outsiders" series that was such a huge part of me being the comic fan I am today. Lord I miss Jim Aparo!! And Halo!!

No comments: