TCM 31 Days - Day O Ram

Friday, April 13, 2007

Oh Happy Day!!!!






The rumors started really flying last week when it was announced that Gail Simone (aka The Wonderful Gail Simone) would be stepping down from her writing duties on "Birds of Prey" after issue 111. Gail's glorious run with the Birds began way back in issue 56- and quickly became a fan and critic favorite title. Though I knew and liked the characters, I had never really read BOP prior to Gail. This was my first exposure to her work and I was instantly hooked. Her wit, enthusiasm, and dedication to characterization shine through everything she writes. Her "Villains United" mini was easily the best of the pre-Infinite Crisis lead-in titles. I am also really digging her "All New Atom" for it's over the top fun. Aside from her considerable writing skills, Gail has also continually impressed me as a comic professional and fan. Her comments at conventions, during interviews, and on message boards are all from the heart. She loves what she does and the community of which she is a part. For some time now "Gail Simone on Wonder Woman" (sounds like a lesbian fanfic waiting to happen hehe) petitions have littered comic forums. Not only would it be interesting to have comic's premiere female writer work with comic's premiere heroine- it just always seemed like the perfect fit of muse and artist. Well, when DC editor Dan Didio announced that Sean McKeever (a great writer in his own right) would take over Gail's baby- "Birds of Prey"- like many hardcore WW fans, my heart started beating faster. After a very tumultuous year for readers, the Wonder Woman title needed a big time boost. So this morning when I went to Newsarama for my pre-shower comic news- I was beside myself with joy. Not only did they finally say the words we wanted to hear, and make it official that she was indeed slated to be the new PERMANENT writer, but in the accompanying interview, Gail made me sooooooo happy to be her fan. She spoke so lovingly about the character and with such excitement I didn't need my coffee!! Mark my words- "Wonder Woman" is about to enter the titles most prosperous era- I have no trepidation whatsoever in predicting astronomical sales figures and a surge in readers. Gail's voice, especially when channeled through Diana's is going to reach and convert so many new readers that the industry will have to take note. This is very big and I couldn't be happier!!!

For the full interview with Gail go to: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=108610

No comments: