TCM 31 Days - Day O Ram

Friday, April 20, 2007

Rare nod to GOP Senator


As a reasonably intelligent, caring, feeling person- I rarely find anything done by a member of the Republican party worth anything other than derision. That is why I am so happy to be able to laud one of them for their actions in DC. I am doubly pleased that it is a member of the Maine delegation to boot! I guess I should back pedal a bit. Both of Maine's senators are Republicans. Sen. Olympia Snowe and Sen. Susan Collins have each distinguished themselves from the trolls of the GOP as honest, able, and diligent public servants. Sen. Collins did a wonderful job leading the Katrina investigations- something I was thrilled to send a Thank You note for last year. And this morning I read an item on the fantastic Alternet.org website (I hit it several times a day and urge you to as well) regarding Sen. Snow. Apparently she is the third member of her party to back troop withdrawal from Iraq. She doesn't support the current Democratic resolution, but is instead sponsoring her own similar bill that would put a definite time line out there. To quote the article in the LA Times by Noam N. Levey and James Gerstenzang: Snowe is not backing a Senate Democratic plan approved last month that would require the president to begin withdrawing troops within 120 days and would set a nonbinding goal of complete withdrawal by March.

When I went to her website to get some more information about it- I read her recent vote for expanding stem cell research and was tickled! Honestly- I know that there are good Republican senators out there- the same that I know that there are very good non-molesting priests. I just get so bent out of shape by their loud asshole peers that I don't search them out. I guess in the interest of being fair and balanced- a new interest to me I might add hehehe- I wanted to take a few moments this day to raise a toast to Sen. Snowe. Keep on doing the right thing Olympia- you do this old Mainer proud!

No comments: