TCM 31 Days - Day O Ram

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Overheard in NOLA

I can't imagine what Sunday mornings would be like without Turner Classic Movies. TCM is as big a part of my weekend routine as the coffee. I generally have it on the first few hours that I am up on Sunday- much like the cartoon channels on Saturday. I was just watching a lovely tribute to Joan "Don't make me walk into that closet" Crawford by Ann Blyth. Ann Blyth was Joan's co-star in the Academy Award winning picture "Mildred Pierce". Joan won the Best Actress Oscar playing the title character- a woman who leaves her husband, becomes a successful business woman, and has to contend with her horrid bitch of a daughter Vida, played by Ann. It's a great film- full on heavy drama and those eyes of Joans!!! That woman could act rings around anyone just by moving her eyebrows!! This all reminds me of one of my favorite lines ever, certainly one of the best I have overheard in New Orleans hehe! I was working at Goodfriends for Halloween, and the place was packed. Everywhere you looked, everyone was loaded. There were drunken slutty nuns, witches, barely dressed angels and devils, you name it- the fags were festive. There was a group of men dressed as former First Ladies- wonderful, if not HOMELY dudes all! Much like in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" with the three girls that looked like Pat Benatar, there were half of dozen men who looked like Joan Crawford. A friend of mine stumbled out of the bathroom and proclaimed for all to hear- "I just got a blowjob from Mildred Pierce!" I think I actually started to pee right then. I know that I was definitely soiling my pants when a minute later this older gentlemen emerged from the shitter. Walking fairly steadily, he was straightening his wig- making sure the distinctive "Mildredesque" bangs were right. Big old shoulder pads that accentuated his sashay topped off the perfect outfit. If I had been a little more drunk, I would have sworn it WAS Mildred Pierce. The dirty girl hehehehe!!

No comments: